News

BUA MD, Yusuf Binji, reportedly declared wanted over attack on Governor Obaseki’s convoy

The Managing Director of BUA Obu Cement Company, Yusuf Binji, has been declared wanted over an alleged attack on Edo State governor, Godwin Obaseki.

The governor’s spokesman, Crusoe Osagie said this in a statement issued Thursday night.

Recall that BUA and Dangote cement have been at loggerheads over the ownership of a mining site in Okpella, Edo State. The crisis has led to the shut down of the mines by the state government.

The government on Wednesday led security officials there and arrested two BUA staff who defied the shut down order.

BUA accused the governor of arresting his staff without any reason, accusing the governor of abusing his executive powers.

READ: BUA Group tackles Edo governor, Obaseki, over arrest of employees, shut down of mines

On Thursday, Mr. Osagie quoted the police as saying that the attack on the governor was sponsored by Mr. Binji.

Osagie’s full statement reads:

“The Nigeria Police have declared the Managing Director of BUA’s Obu Cement Company, Yusuf Binji, wanted over an attack on the convoy of the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki.

Also attacked were some officials of the Edo State Government who were on the convoy of the Edo State Governor.

“According to the police, the decision to declare Mr. Binji wanted became necessary as it had earlier received intelligence that BUA International Limited is sponsoring militias in Okpella, Edo State, where the company has a cement factory and mine sites.

“These militias, the police said, were allegedly sponsored by Binji and his team to attack the convoy of the governor, cause harm and mayhem.

159 total views, no views today

Comments
To Top