Health

Horrific! Man mistook superglue for eyedrops and squeezed some into his eye

A man picked up a tube of eyedrops and squeezed the fluid into his eye but it turned out to be superglue! The rapid-acting glue quickly stuck his eyelids together, leaving him in agony.

According to Metro, the man was treated at the Oxford Eye hospital where doctors used fine forceps with a slit lamp for magnification.

The doctors noted that it would have been far worse if the man hadn’t washed his eyes out with water immediately.

The horrifying case surfaced this week as part of 15,000 case reports republished by the British Medical Journal.

The glue in question was a cyanoacrylate nail glue, similar to superglue – but sold in a bottle near-identical to eye drops.

The doctors wrote: “Inadvertent ocular cyanoacrylate, or ‘superglue’, instillation has been reported frequently since 1982 when superglue was repackaged into ophthalmic style dropper bottles.

“This case report highlights the continuing problem of cyanoacrylate eye injuries and serves as a reminder to healthcare professionals to report such incidents to manufacturers and regulatory bodies, on behalf of their patients, to promote the introduction of universal safety mechanisms on all household chemical containers.”

116 total views, no views today

Comments
To Top