Osun State Governor, Mr. Gboyega Oyetola will on Saturday, July 27, 2019, lead all ethnic nationalities in Osogbo, the state capital, in the maiden edition of ‘Walk for Osun’, to herald this year’s annual Osun Osogbo Festival.
The Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, said on Tuesday that the Walk, a carnival procession of stakeholders around Osogbo, would take off at Better Life, Isale, Osun, Osogbo by 8.00am, adding that other top government functionaries would also be part of the exercise.
According to him, traditional rulers, cultural icons, all ethnic nationalities, groups and associations, traders, artisans, market men and women, sons and daughters of Osun have signified their interests to be part of the Walk for Osun.
Oba Oyetunji said the programme is to promote unity and peaceful cohabitation among all the ethnic nationalities in the state especially in the face of recent security challenges.
He said that the protection of Osogbo and Osun State as a whole is among the positive things the Osun Osogbo goddess had bestowed on Osogboland.
Below are the dates and events for the 2019 Osun Osogbo festival as disclosed by the monarch:
- Saturday, July 27 – Walk for Osun
- Monday, August 5 – Pre-festival programmes begin with traditional cleaning of the city (Iwopopo)
- Thursday, August 8 – Lighting of the mystic 16 points lamp on August 8
- Monday, August 12 – Assemblage of Crowns (Iboriade)
- Tuesday, August 13 – Arugba Berth ceremony and tour of the cultural and historical sites in the state
- Wednesday, August 14 – Native Ayo game, football competition finals, Arts and Crafts Fair and children’s fiesta at the palace pavilion
- Thursday, August 15 – Ataoja’s Chieftaincy Coronation and Osun Festival Tourism forum
- Friday, August 16 – Grand procession to Osun grove and all white party and award night