The Minister of Communications, Barr. Adebayo Shittu, has rolled out his policy road map for the next four years.
The Minister who addressed a world press conference at Radio House, Abuja said Nigeria loses about $287 million worth or revenue on software piracy from Nigeria alone but said that the present administration was determined to boost revenue generation through technology savvy workforce and smart government.
Some of the policies his ministry hopes to pursue with him as minister include:
- Growing revenue and reduction of waste
- Blocking leakages such as piracy and vandalism of infrastructure
- ‘To protect the health and viability of not only the ICT industry but also the creative and performing arts
- Harness ICT for e-commerce
- Stepping up intellectual property protection and enforcement mechanisms
- Smart Government to deliver ICT and Broadband penetration;
- Migration to a digitally savvy Nigeria through capacity building,
- Job and wealth creation
- 2016 Communications sector retreat
He stated that the communication sector would presently focus on information technology infrastructure development, promotion of ICT local content, ICT deployment in government, extending ICT access to Nigerians and providing an enabling environment for competitiveness in the industry.