The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Oyo State has criticised the Oyo State Government over its rejection of the 1800 bags of rice donated to the state as palliative to cushion the effect of the lockdown occasioned by the coronavirus pandemic.
The party in a statement signed by its Publicity Secretary, Dr. AbdulAzeez Olatunde, on Saturday, said the state government is playing unnecessary politics with the coronavirus pandemic, adding that Oyo State was not the only state that was given rice palliative.
While noting that it was very thoughtful to of the Federal Government to have given the rice palliative to the four states of Ekiti, Ondo, Osun and Oyo States, Olatunde said the rejection did not come to Oyo APC as a surprise because it has political colouration.
The statement read in part: “To God be the Glory, none of the other three States that collected the rice consignment the same day had made similar complaints.
“This is another point to buttress our observations of unnecessary politicking of COVID-19 pandemic by Oyo State Government.
“A few of his unnecessary politicking of developments in Oyo State will suffice our unbiased people of Oyo.
(1) Our first press release on COVID-19 advised Oyo State Government to avail itself the use of African Genomic Laboratory at Ede, Osun State. But because the advice came from APC, the Oyo Government initially decided on taking samples to Lagos. After a lot of dilly dally, they decided to shift quietly to Ede, Osun State as earlier advised, but we kept quiet, after all it is the well-being of Oyo State people that is our concern.
(2) Again, we advised Oyo Government to have a total lockdown and seek for corporate and private donations for palliatives to take care of Oyo State vulnerables. Also, because the idea of total lockdown came from APC, government chose an ineffective curfew of 7pm to 6am, which has been criticised by all reasonable stakeholders in Oyo State which Nigeria Medical Association, Oyo State Chapter Chairman publicly knocked on a popular radio station.
(3) Eventually, the government adopted our suggestion of palliative fund raising suggestion, which with weeks of the donation, the government has refused to either give palliative or even fumigate Oyo State, instead asking Oyo State residents to fumigate their surroundings.
We are once again calling the public to call Mr Governor to
(1)Distribute palliative to the vulnerable indigent people of Oyo State now.
(2) Fumigate all public places.
(3) Stop politicising the health of Oyo State residents.
” Only last Saturday 18th of April 2020, an unsong resident of Oyo State died of COVID-19 in Lagun, LAGELU LG of Oyo State.
“Only God knows how many of such un-announced deaths has occurred in Oyo State because of irresponsible petty governance of Engr Seyi Makinde.
“Press and Media men are challenged to make an inquest from other states of Ekiti, Ondo and Osun to confirm this grave allegation from Oyo State Government.”