President Muhammadu Buhari and the Benue State governor were in a closed door meeting earlier today.
Speaking with state house correspondents at the end of the meeting, Ortom said the situation grew from bad to worse as a result of “threat without action”.
The governor also said Buhari had been carrying out some investigations to know the next line of action to take on the situation.
His words: “I briefed Mr President when this incident took place on January 1. After staying back on the ground to do the needful to ensure that we restore normalcy, I said it was important for me to come personally and brief him and that has been done.
“Already, because of the communications we have been having when this incidents started, actions have been taken as directed by him. The movement of the DIG, the movement of the IG now to relocate to Benue state to ensure that this challenge is surmounted was at the instance of Mr President.
“Of course, additional personally of DSS and police have been deployed and even the army. We have additional personnel on ground now. We have adequately and fully given them the logistics support to ensure that our people are protected.
“I had to brief him, he is also doing further investigation to know the next line of action. I believe that my request that the leadership of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore… I accused them directly since June last year. I have been writing to the leadership of security agencies, that these people are a threat to our collective interest and they must be dealt with.
“They must be arrested and prosecuted because we cannot allow impunity to continue to thrive. And of course, threat and no action has resulted in this killing and I think that Mr President will also do the needful to ensure something is done”
He denied allegations that he hired mercenaries from Ghana to fight herdsmen.
“I’m not aware of this and I don’t even know about that one I’m hearing it for the first time. If someone has done that it must be this Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, that have done it”, he said.