The Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) has adjourned the trial of suspended Chf Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, indefinitely.
This morning, reports had it that police operatives ejected all the administrative staff at the former CJN’s office and sealed it off.
The latest moves comes after President Muhammadu Buhari last Friday suspeneded Onnoghen and swore in Justice Tanko Mohammed as Acting CJN.
The CCT had initially vowed to continue the trial despite restraining orders issued by the Federal High Court.
But CCT Chairman, Justice Danladi Umar, adjourned the case in his ruling at the resumed hearing on Monday in Abuja.
He said the matter has been adjourned sine dine, pending the ruling of the Court of Appeal on the application for stay of proceeding filed by Justice Onnoghen.
Only two out of the three judges at the Tribunal were in attendance. Justice Umar. Only Justice Julie Anabor, who ordered the suspension of Onnoghen, sat with Justice Umar. The third judge, William Atedze, was absent.
The prosecutor, Mr Aliyu Umar, was also absent. A member of his team, Musa Ibrahim, announced appearance for the prosecution while Mr Kanu Agabi announced his appearance for the defence alongside 42 other lawyers.
The prosecution asked the Tribunal for adjournment of the case pending the ruling of the Court of Appeal on the matter.
Mr Agabi, in his response to the plea, said his team was not in objection to the appeal for adjournment.
“You can adjourn sine dine, it is always in your power to call us back,” he told the Tribunal.
Mr Agabi, however, pleaded with the CCT Chairman to ask the Tribunal officers to make available recordings of previous proceedings to the parties involved.
He explained that the recordings would serve as a guide for the parties involved in the matter.
The CCT had adjourned till today hearing on an application challenging the jurisdiction of the Tribunal to hear the case of alleged false asset declaration against Onnoghen, at the last sitting on Tuesday last week.