President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the immediate sack of the Vice Chancellors of 12 federal universities established by former President Goodluck Jonathan.
The Vice Chancellor of the National Open University, Prof. Vincent Tenebe, was also sacked.
The Vice Chancellors who were affected by the sack apart from Tenebe are Prof. Mobolaji E. Aluko (Otuoke, Bayelsa), Prof. Jibril Amin (Dutse Jigawa), Prof. James Ayatse (Dutsin-Ma, Katisina), Prof. Mohammed Farouk (Kashere, Gombe) and Prof. Ekanem Braide (Lafia, Nasarawa).
Others were Prof. Abdulmumini Rafindadi (Lokoja, Kogi), Prof. Oye Ibidapo-Obe (Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi), Prof. Isaac Asuzu (Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti), Prof. Geoffrey Okogbaa (Wukari, Taraba), Prof. Lawal Suleiman Bilbis (Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi, Prof. Ben Chuks Okeke (Gusau, Zamfara) and Prof. Shehu Abdulrahman (Gasua, Zamfara).
In a statement issued on Saturday by the Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, President Buhari also announced the replacement for the sacked Vice Chancellors.
The new Vice Chancellors are:
- Federal Univerity, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti – Prof. Kayode Soremekun, former Head of the Department of International Relations at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi State – Prof. Auwal Yadudu from the Faculty of Law, Bayero University, Kano.
- Federal University, Dutse – Prof. Fatima Batoul Muktar from the Department of Biology, North West University, Kano.
- Federal University, Dutsin Ma, Katsina State – Prof. Haruna Abdu Kaita, a lecturer in the Department of Pharmacy, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
- Federal University, Gashua, Yobe State – Prof. Andrew Haruna of the Department of Linguistics, University of Jos.
- Federal University, Gusau, Zamfara State – Prof. Magaji Garba, a lecturer from the Department of Pharmacy, ABU, Zaria.
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State – Prof. Alhassan Mohammed Gani of the Institute of Maritime Studies in the same university.
- Federal University,, Lafia, Nasarawa State – Prof. Muhammad Sanusi Liman, a lecturer in the Department of Physics in the same institution.
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi – Prof. Angela Freeman Miri of the Linguistics Department, UNIJOS.
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State – Prof. Chinedum Nwajiuba of the Post-Graduate School, Imo State University, Owerri.
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa State – Prof. Seth Accra Jaja of the Department of Management, University of Port Harcourt
- NOUN – Prof. Abdalla Uba Adamu of the Department of Mass Communication, Bayero University, Kano.