President Muhammadu Buhari has signed 17 bills into law in the last two months. On Friday, he signed the Endangered Species (Control of International Trade and Traffic) Amendment Act 2016 into law.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters (Senate), Ita Enang, confirmed this to State House correspondents.
Intent of the amendment
According to Enang, “the intent of this amendment is to bring the penalty provisions in line with economic realities and to act as a deterrent or deter people from trafficking and trading in endangered species because endangered species are preserved the country.
“It will discourage traffic and it will improve agriculture and the preservation of endangered species in Nigeria.
“This is an amendment bill. This law has been in existence but what the National Assembly has done, which the President has assented to today, is to strengthen the penalty for violation of the provisions and to bring it in line with today’s realities.”
Enang said the bill was one of the 10 bills sent by the National Assembly to the President for assent.
The President had in November signed eight bills into law.
Bills signed in November
- The Prevention of Crime Amendment Act, 2016
- National Crop Varieties and Livestock Breeds (Registration) Amendment Act, 2016
- Telecommunications and Postal Offences Amendment Act, 2016
- The National Agricultural Land Development Authority Amendment Act, 2016.
- Produce Enforcement of Export Standards Amendment Act, 2016
- The Agricultural and Rural Management Training Institute Amendment Act, 2016
- Bee Import Control and Management Amendment Act, 2016
- Water Resources Amendment Act, 2016.
Bills signed in December
- National Judicial Institute Amendment Act, 2016
- Advertising Practitioners Registration Amendment Act, 2016
- Utilities Charges Commission Amendment Act, 2016
- Quality Surveyors Registration Amendment Act, 2016
- Small and Medium Scale Industries Development Agency Amendment Act, 2016.
- Treaty to Establish African Economic Community Relating to Pan African Parliament (Accession and Jurisdiction) Amendment Act, 2016
- University of Abuja Amendment Act, 2016
- Chartered Institute of Stock Brokers Amendment Act, 2016.
- Endangered Species (Control of International Trade and Traffic) Amendment Act 2016