News

A campaign has been launched to malign me – Jonathan

Former President Goodluck Jonathan, said on Sunday that some individuals are making frantic efforts to smear his personality, insisting that his democratic ideals remain strong as ever.

“It has been brought to my attention that while I am away promoting democracy in Sierra Leone, a campaign will be unleashed against me to falsely impugn my name using both faceless and identified persons,” he wrote in Facebook post Sunday night.

As head of election observers, the former president is supervising the second-round of voting in the Sierra Leone presidential elections, after the first-round failed to produce a clear winner.

READ: Reno Omokri asks Pastor Adeboye to call Osinbajo to order

Jonathan had been under renewed media attention following reports that someone close to him had attempted to manipulate Nigeria’s 2015 elections with a $2 million slush payment to a foreign public relations firms.

According to The UK Guardian, the individual, whose identity remained unclear, met with Cambridge Analytica officials in Washington D.C. around December 2014, a few weeks before the contentious 2015 election that Mr. Jonathan ultimately lost to President Muhammadu Buhari.

President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo have, in the last few weeks, launched separate allegations at Jonathan.

But Jonathan maintained that he would remain civil in his conduct despite the attacks, which sources say, would increase as the 2019 elections approach.

READ: Lai Mohammed says INEC should deregister PDP (READ PDP’s REACTION)

“When I was in power I said my ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian. Even out of power, I continue to hold that belief.

“What I will say however, is that no matter how far and fast falsehood has traveled, it must eventually be overtaken by truth,” the former president said.

Comments
To Top