A six-month-old baby boy was on Saturday night, burnt to death at a home at House 52, CA Street, Shagari Estate, Mosan Okunola, Ipaja area of Lagos.
Reports said the fire was caused by a candle-light.
Witnesses said the baby’s mother had put the sleeping boy in bed and lit a candle in the room, as there was power outage, before stepping outside to take fresh air. Time was about 9.30pm.
The candle was said to have burnt out with its melting wax, which had accumulated on the plastic candle holder and spread to the room. In no time, the wax began to burn even the platform it was placed.
Before the mother knew what was happening indoors, the fire had spread round the room and burnt both the bed and the baby.
The Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Rasak Fadipe, who confirmed this on Sunday, said: “The six-month-old baby boy was burnt to death at about 9.30 p.m. on Saturday at their residence in Ipaja.
“The fire was caused by a candlestick lit by the mother of the child, who claimed to be taking fresh air outside, when the incident happened.”
Fadipe, while advising the public to be wary of using candles, said many had died from candle fires.
He also called on parents to stop locking up their kids at home, no matter the circumstance.