A four-storey building of a school collapsed in Lagos this morning and over 70 pupils are still trapped under the rubble”
The school, Baden School, is situated at Itafaji Street, near Adeniji Adele on Lagos Island. The disaster occured at about 10.20am Wednesday morning.
Rescue operations by the Lagos State Rescue Unit is ongoing.
Below is a few things Newspeakonline has gathered about the incident:
Day 2 – Thursday, March 14
- Rescue operations have gotten to ground zero, (the base of the destruction) according to officials but the crowd is insisting that search must continue.
- Residents insist there are more people trapped in the rubble.
- No official casualty figure has been given but an official says 16 people have died while 41 were rescued alive.
- Of the 16 dead people, 12 are pupils of the school that occupied the building.
- No victim or body has been recovered from the rubble as at 12noon Thursday.
- It is believed that occupants of the building at the time of the accident are not less than 100 including pupils of the school.
Day 1 – Wednesday, March 13
- The building is a multi-storey building. The school is located the second and third floor
- About 175 pupils were in school as at the time of the accident
- About 55 pupils have been rescued and taken to the Lagos Island Hospital, Marina. 41 have the stabilised while 14 are fighting for their lives at the emergency ward.
- Nine pupils have been confirmed dead and taken to the morgue
- The building has been marked twice for demolishion by the government due to building defects but the demolision was not carried out. The last marking was done in 2018
- The huge crowd around the collapse site is obstructing rescue efforts
- Rescue workers are working carefully and slowly to avoid any more damage to trapped children
- Official rescue operations did not begin until two hours after the collapse. Residents started the rescue and scavenging using crude tools like shovels
- Governor Akinwunmi Ambode has visited the scene. He got a hostile reception from the crowd
- The crowd is getting restive as there has been no rescue for over an hour
- Over 70 pupils are still trapped as at 4.30pm. The accident happened at about 10.20am.