The Western Hall of Oyo State House of Assembly complex was a bee hive of activity as the Grand Council of Yoruba Youths (Agbarijo Egbe Odo Yoruba) celebrated the annual Yoruba National Day.
The event, which held on September 23, attracted dignitaries from all walks of life.
Speaking at the event, the President, Grand Council of Yoruba Youths, Com Awa Bamiji said this year’s event was primarily to say thank you to President Bola Tinubu as well as Nigerians for their steadfastness.
“Today in history was the signing of the peace treaty at Okemesi, in Ekiti State, which brought an end to the 16 years civil war in Yoruba land
“Grand Council of Yoruba Youths, founded inside Trenchard Hall, University of Ibadan, in October 2001, used last year’s celebration to endorse Mr President for the 2023 presidential election and the three All Progressives Congress (APC) gubernatorial candidates in Lagos, Ogun and Oyo States, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Prince Dapo Abiodun and Senator Teslim Folarin respectively.
“Therefore, ‘to whom much is given, much is expected.’ Nigerians are now seriously yearning for the dividends of democracy under this present administration, but it is unfortunate that, at this same time, paucity of fund has made the government to remove fuel subsidy, this increasing the pump price of petrol. However, we must exercise patience with the Federal Government to get it right at the end of the day,” Bamiji said.
Highlight of the event was the presentation of the beautifully carved Odu’a Awards to notable Nigerians.
See list of awardees and their reapective awards below:
1. Chief Frank Ovie Kokori (Ekun Oko Babangida ati Abacha)
2. Dr Omololu Olunloyo (Ogo Ibadan)
3. Oba Olalekan Balogun, Alli Okunmade II Olubadan ti Ile Ibadan (Amin Isokan Odu’a)
4) Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ojaja II Ooni ti Ile-Ife (Amin Isokan Odu’a)
5. Alhaji Tanko Yakassai Former Chairman, Arewa Consultative Forum (Ore Imule Yoruba)
6. Alhaji Yerima Shettima President, Arewa Youth Consultative Forum (Ilumoka Ajaf’eto Ilu)
7. Alhaji Mujaheed Asari Dukobo, former Niger Delta militant leader (Aborid’epenu ti Ile Odu’a)
8. Elder Taye Ayorinde Baale Ekotedo (Awokose Odo Odu’a)
9. Mr Babatunde Fashola (Eni Aye Nfe ti Ile Odu’a)
10. Engr Dotun Sanusi (Ore Mekunnu ti Ile Odu’a)
11. Barr Oladosu Oladipo (Aworawo ti Ile Odu’a)
12. Prof (Mrs) Bolanle Awe (Iyaniwura ti Ile Odu’a)
13. Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III (Amin Iranti Eni si Rere l’eyin Iku)
14. Comrade Ola Oni (Amin Iranti Eni si Rere l’eyin Iku)
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu was represented by veteran Nollywood actor, Chief Lere Paimo, while Elder Taye Ayorinde, Baale of Ekotedo, chaired the occasion on behalf of NDLEA boss, General Buba Marwa (Rtd).
Also in attendance were Comrade (Mrs) Kehinde Ola-Oni; Queen Taiwo Adesida; Comrade Jare Ajayi, Publicity Secretary of Afenifere; Chief (Mrs) J.T Raimi, Asiwaju Oloja-General of Oyo State. Olubadan of Ibadan land and Ooni of Ife were jointly represented Princess Oyebunmi Oladepo, a.k.a Orekelewa.
Dr Omololu Olunloyo; Prof (Mrs) Bolanle Awe; Chief Frank Kokori; Alhaji Mujaheed Asari Dukobo, Alhaji Yerima Shettima; Prof Ariyo Sabitu Olagoke, JP; Hon Akeem Adeyemi (Skimeh); Barrister Oladosu Oladipo; Engr Dotun Sanusi and Mr Babatunde Fashola were all represented.