The Federal Government has approved the establishment of eight new private universities for the country.
The approval came at the Federal Executive Council meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday.
The new universities:
- Anchor University, Ayobo, Lagos
- Clifford University, Owerinta, Abia State
- Coal City University, Enugu State
- Dominican University, Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kola Daisi University, Ibadan, Oyo State.
- Legacy University, Okija, Anambra State
- Arthur Jarvis Akpabuyo University, Calabar, Cross River State
- Crown Hill University, Kwara State
Minister of State for Education, Anthony Onwuka, for Education, said the new universities were given three years provisional licenses and would be mentored by older universities.
He said Anchor University will be mentored by the University of Lagos, Jarvis University by the University of Calabar and Clifford University by the University of Agriculture, Umudike.
Coal city University will be mentored by the University of Nigeria Nsukka; Crown Hill University by the University of Ilorin; while the two new universities in Oyo State, Kola Daisy and Dominican universities, will be mentored by the University of Ibadan.