Properties worth millions of naira were destroyed after a residential building on Cachol Street, in Ojo area of Lagos State, in the early hours of Saturday.
It was gathered that the inferno started after a camp gas exploded in the eight-room bungalow.
The spokesperson for the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Services, Amodu Shakiri, who confirmed the incident in a statement on Saturday, said one of the occupants was cooking at the corridor of the building when the explosion occurred.
“One of the occupants of the building was cooking with a camp gas when it exploded and the building was severely burnt with content therein. We also found that the passage was used as their kitchen because there was no specific area identified as a kitchen on the premises. We also counted not less than six camp gases in there.
“The call came in at about 9:05 am and we were able to isolate the fire to only the building alone while adjoining buildings were safe from the gas-induced fire,” he said.
Shakiri said the incident would have been fatal if not for a detachment of officers from the Ojo military cantonment who protected firemen who were carrying out their duties.
He added that there was no casualty as the occupants of the building escaped unhurt.