The management of University of Ibadan has linked the Wednesday night fire incident at the Faculty of Education of the campus to a power surge.
Reports claimed the incident occurred around 9:00 p.m. during torrential rainfall.
They said the power surge was further triggered by a cooking gas in the common room.
Equipment for social interaction and networking by teaching and non-teaching staff members were completely razed in the fire outbreak.
Reacting, the university’s Director of Communication, Mr. Olatunji Oladejo said, “Yes, I can confirm to you that there was a fire incident last night.
“However, contrary to the insinuations that the whole faculty was engulfed in fire, it is not true as the incident only affected the common room of the faculty.
“The affected room was completely razed as we couldn’t lay hands on anything after the incident.
“We thank God that no life was lost.”
He thanked the men of Oyo State Fire Service for assisting the campus firemen to put out the fire, from spreading beyond the affected area.