By Faith Ijeh
A lot of people don’t know their own style.The key to looking great isn’t following all trends but staying true to your own personal style.
You can develop your own style by searching for inspiration or by experimenting.
Style is timeless. Someone who is a stylist may or may not follow fashion trends, but stay true to his/her own taste.
Here are five steps to finding your personal style
- Look to your own closet. Think about the clothes you have that make you happy and your favourite items in the closet. Pull the pieces out and think about why they make you happy, identify what they have in common.
- Create a fashion mood board. This will help you create a fashion style. Gather some fashion inspiration, even if the inspiration feels all over the place, put them all together on a board or save them on your phone. You might discover that a lot of models and celebrities are wearing certain type of outfit, pick two or three that you think you will be comfortable wearing, save the images and look out for them when shopping.
- Find an inspiration. You need to look through your family and friends and see those you admire their fashion sense. You also check online for what celebrities are wearing, from casual to work trending outfits or find a fashion blogger whose styles interest you. Learn about different styles and identify the ones with which you most align.
- Create a simple wardrobe. This is a collection of basics that you can mix and match to create effortless looks. This include outfits like a denim jacket, a simple dress, T-shirts, jeans and a leather bag. These outfits may be simple but they will help you show off your unique style.
- Experiment your choices. Once you have built your collection, it’s time to add unique pieces to your wardrobe and show off your style personality. This is an experimentation so it’s okay if you change your mind. Remember personal style is about playing with fashion to discover which clothes make you feel best.