The “sins” of the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan is responsible for the lingering fuel scarcity in he country, the federal government has said.
Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, who addressed State House correspondents at the end of the federal executive council (FEC) meeting on Monday, said the immediate past government failed to make adequate provision for fuel subsidy.
He added that pipelines that were vandalised under Jonathan made it impossible for fuel to be transported to different distribution points in the country.
His words: “One of the reasons for the fuel scarcity is the inability of the last government to make inadequate provision for fuel subsidy.
“We do face some other logistic problems but majorly, we are paying for the sins of the last administration.
“I will be telling Nigerians is that what we met on ground is such that we are paying for the sins of the last administration. I am very serious. You remember that about two weeks ago, we had to go to the national assembly for a supplementary budget of N674 billion.
“Of that figure, N522billion was for arrears of fuel subsidy which was incurred as far back as August last year.
“The solution is what you have seen us doing. The first thing we have done now is to make sure that unlike before when the marketers used to import the major percentage of the fuel. NNPC has been involved in importation, because some of the marketers had stopped importing for a couple of months.
“If you see fuel anywhere today, it is imported by the NNPC. In tanks today we have 14 days reserve and off tank we have 10 days reserve.
“The issue is not non-availability of the product it is the distribution, because of pipelines that have been vandalized. We also inherited the vandalisation of the pipelines which has made it impossible for us to even transport the fuel.
“As at two days ago this matter has been resolved. The Mosinmi pipeline has been secured and it has lead to the improvement in the distribution.”