By Emmanuel Adeleke
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have suspended the planned strike scheduled to commence on Wednesday, March 29, over the scarcity of naira notes.
NLC and TUC Presidents, Comrades Joe Ajaero and Festus Osifo respectively, made the disclosure at a joint press conference at the end of their respective National Executive Council (NEC) meetings in Abuja, on Tuesday.
The two labour unions said they would monitor the availability of cash in commercial banks for two weeks before deciding on the next line of action.
According to Ajaero, after receiving briefings from its 36 state councils and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), the NLC decided to defer the planned stay-at-home directive issued to workers last week.
He said the NLC would resume the planned protest if naira notes become unavailable to Nigerians at the end of the two weeks extension.
The NLC president said a committee has been set up to monitor situations in banks and report back at the end of the two weeks extension.
Leave a Reply