The Lagos State Ministry of Justice will prosecute 229 suspects arrested by the police for allegedly using the #EndSARS protest to destroy and loot public and private properties in the state.
This was made known in a statement issued over the weekend by Kayode Oyekanmi, the ministry’s Director, Public Affairs.
The statement said that the Head of the Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP), Olayinka Adeyemi, has gone round relevant police formations for that purpose.
According to the statement, the DPP went with a team of prosecutors to evaluate files of those arrested by the police with a view to determine those that have prima facie cases made against them.
So far, 229 suspects have been arrested by the police for various criminal offences ranging from arson, murder, stealing, malicious damage of properties and assault before and after the state-wide curfew.
The curfew was imposed by Governor Babajide Sawon-Olu on October 20, to restore law and order in the state.
“The Lagos State Ministry of Justice noted that after the evaluation exercise that those that have cases to answer will be arraigned before the courts while the others will be released,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, the Lagos State government has reviewed the curfew imposed on the state.
A statement on Sunday by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, said restriction time is now 8pm to 6am.
“Lagosians are enjoined to plan their journey times as they go about their lawful businesses. Public schools remain shut till further notice,” he said.