British Prime Minister, Theresa May, on Wednesday announced that suspected murderers of Saudi columnist, Jamal Khashoggi, will have their UK visas cancelled.
She said she would speak to King Salman of Saudi Arabia later today to tell him Britain does not find the explanation of the killing ‘credible’.
The United States has also taken the same decision. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Tuesday that the U.S. would be revoking the visas of Saudi operatives who are accused of killing Khashoggi.
The secretary of state also told reporters at the State Department that the U.S. has identified some of the people “who we suspect to be responsible” for Khashoggi’s death. Pompeo also said that the State Department is working with the Treasury Department on the applicability of global Magnitsky sanctions to the Saudis responsible.
“We’re making very clear that the United States does not tolerate this ruthless action to silence Mr. Khashoggi, a journalist, through violence,” Pompeo said.
President Donald Trump has described Khashoggi’s murder as the “worst cover up in history”.
Addressng MPs on Wednesday, Mrs May said: “We condemn the killing of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the strongest possible terms and after his disappearance we made clear that Saudi Arabia must co-operate with Turkey and conduct a full and credible investigation.
“The claim that has been made that Mr Khashoggi died in a fight does not amount to a credible explanation so there does remain an urgent need to establish what has happened in relation to this.”
She added that Home Secretary Sajid Javid is “taking action against all suspects to prevent them entering the UK”.
“If these individuals currently have visas, those visas will be revoked today,” she told the parliament.
Mrs May confirmed no minister or official was in Saudi Arabia today for a major trade conference. Trade Secretary Liam Fox cancelled plans to attend last week.