A video of a young Nigerian mother and her son sleeping at the Nigerian consulate in South Africa has surfaced days after some Nigerians were evacuated from the country.
The young mother is reportedly one of the Nigerians that have opted to leave South Africa over the xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals. The Nigerian lady who has been sleeping at the consulate since Tuesday September 12, said she is waiting to make the next bus that will take her and others to the airport to be flown back to Nigeria for free.
Earlier this week, 187 Nigerians flew home on an Air Peace flight.
Speaking with eNCA on the steps of the consulate, while holding her young child, the woman said, “I’m leaving South Africa because of the fight and it affects my area a lot. They burnt all the shops, some houses and even my flat. They came there. So I just have to leave”.
The woman, who has been living in South Africa for five years now, says she does not know if she will ever come back.
She’s hopeful that when she returns to Nigeria, her family will be able to help her.