News

Nigerian Army finally breaks silence on deadly Boko Haram attack, discredits casualty figures, videos

The Nigerian Army on Friday reacted for the first time, to the deadly Boko Haram attack on one of ots bases in Metele, Guzamala Local Government Area of Borno State last Sunday.

Reports have it that more than 70 soldiers were killed in the attack. The terrorists also released a video showing how they carried out the attack.

The Army, has however come out to discredit some of the videos and casualty figures being reported in the media.

A statement by the army spokesman on Friday said that while it is true that the insurgents attacked the 157 Task Force Battalion at Metele on November 18, “it has however, become necessary to correct several misinformation being circulated with regards to this unfortunate event.”

It explained that “it is important for the public to note that the NA has laid down procedures for reporting incidents that involve its personnel who fall casualty in action. Out of respect for the families of our gallant troops, the NOKs are first notified before any form of public information so as to avoid exacerbating the grief family members would bear, were they to discover such from unofficial sources.”

READ: Boko Haram releases video of how it attacked, killed 70 soldiers (SEE PHOTOS)

The Army however expressed dissapproval at the reporting of the incident in the media.

The statement said: “Furthermore, it suffices to observe that several social media, print and online publications have been brandishing false casualty figures as well as circulating various footages of old and inaccurate BHT propaganda videos and alluding same to be the attack on 157 Task Force Battalion. Whilst it is understandable how such misinformation can spread in this era of social media frenzy, the spurious circulation of some of these videos only contribute to further propagate the propaganda intent of the terrorists; to misinform the populace and portray themselves as what they are not. So far, the situation is that the location is under control as reinforcing units have been able to repel the terrorists and stabilize the situation.

“The NA sincerely, wishes to thank the various arms of government, MDAs and sister security agencies that have stood with her in these trying times; by commiserating with the families of the fallen heroes who have paid the supreme price for the defence of our dearly beloved country. The necessary support being given the NA by the Federal Government and the goodwill of the Nigerian populace will undoubtedly continue to spur the NA towards the ultimate defeat of the highly degraded BHTs”.

Comments
To Top