The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has said the attack on Ekehen train station in Igueben Local Government Area of Edo State will not affect the Itapkpe-Warri train service.
The Managing Director of NRC, Engr. Fidet Okhiria, stated this on Sunday while speaking to newsmen.
He said the train service will still be operated, but additional security measures would be introduced.
According to Okhiria, investigation is on to know “how many passengers were involved and other such details,” adding a press statement would be issued.
The MD also clarified that there was no attack on the train but only the station was attacked.
Newspeakonline had earlier reported how gunmen attacked the train station on Saturday evening and kidnapped unspecified number of passengers who were waiting to board a train to Warri.
The Edo State Police Command spokesperson, Chidi Nwabuzor, had in a statement said some passengers sustained bullet wounds in the attack.
Minister of Transportation, Mua’zu Sambo, was said to have visited the affected train station in the early hours of Sunday to ascertain the situation of things.
The minister’s visit, it was gathered, was to get first hand information, to know how many passengers were kidnapped and how many people were injured. It was learnt that officials of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), led by the Managing Director were on ground during the minister’s visit.
The latest attack comes almost a year after an attack on the Abuja-Kaduna Train where 65 of passengers were kidnapped, leading to the suspension of the train service.
The train service resumed December 5, 2022, after the remaining passengers in captivity were released.
Leave a Reply