The Osun State Government has announced the closure of Baptist High School, Osogbo, over attacks by thugs suspected to also be students of the school.
The Commissioner for Education, Oladoyin Folorunsho, who announced the decision in a statement published in the bulletin of the Ministry of Information and Strategy, expressed displeasure over the misconduct of the hoodlums.
He also ordered a thorough investigation into the attack on the school, adding that pupils would be made to pay for the damaged property.
According to reports, the closure might not be unconnected to a note pasted on the door of a classroom early in the week by some suspected thugs, who threatened to attack the school.
A source in the school disclosed that some people in uniform, wielding weapons, attacked the school last Friday during which ceilings and some school properties were damaged.
A resident of the neighbourhood where the school was located, who identified himself as Agbaakin Gbadebo, said the school had been under a series of attacks by some hoodlums in recent past.
He said: “Last Friday, some people in school uniform attacked the school. They were armed with cutlasses. During the attack, two members of the Peace Corps working in the school were absent, so they easily gained entrance.
“Some male teachers, however, repelled them and some of the attackers were wounded. I believe the injuries suffered by some of the attackers made them write the school again and threatened to attack.”