Engr Aderemi Oseni, one of the 12 governorship aspirants of the Action Democratic Congress (ADC) in Oyo State, who had dragged the party to court over the alleged imposition of a governorship candidate on the party, has announced his withdrawal from the suit.
The aspirants had gone to court last year to challenge the alleged imposition of Senator Olufemi Lanlehin as governorship candidate of the party ahead of the March 2 governorship election.
In a message sent to fellow party members on Wednesday, Oseni said he has given his consent to withdraw from the the case long before now but it was sadly not communicated before the January 21 sitting because he did not even sign any document when the case was first instituted.
“I am completely out of the G12 litigation out of the respect I have for all my political fathers, political leaders in my party, genuine and honest people that prevailed on me and in the interest of tomorrow for ADC” he said in the message.
He however cautioned that his leaving the court “doesn’t give legitimacy to the process but to acknowledge that the party’s interest is supreme.”
His message follows reports that only five of the aspirants had withdrawn from the case seeking Lanlehin’s disqualification as the party’s candidate. The suit was on Monday adjourned to February 8, 2019, by Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu of a Federal High Court, Abuja.
In court on Monday, those who were said to have withdrawn from the suit, with number FHC/ABJ/CS/1144/2018, are: Hon. Festus Wale Adegoke, Ambassador Taofeek Oladejo Arapaja, Senator Andrew Gbenga Babalola, Chief Tirimisiyu Ayanlowo Obisesan and Otunba Oluseye Opatoki.
Oseni was listed among those still pursuing the case actively alongside Dr. Nurein Aderemi Adeniran, Mr. Ayodele Adigun, Dr. Yunus Abiodun Akintunde, Chief Sharafadeen Abiodun Alli, Dr. Mohammed Kola Balogun and Engr. Rauf Aderemi Olaniyan.
They had reportedly vowed to pursue the case to a logical conclusion, even though some of them have since moved on to other parties.
But Oseni, who is still in the ADC, has made it clear that he has made up his mind to work for the victory of Lanlehin who had openly appealed to him to withdraw the case and support his candidacy. “I am not on a do or die politics” he pointed out.
Oseni, who had even attempted to institute a case for him to be declared as the authentic candidate following the disqualification of Dr Nureni Adeniran who came first in the party’s election by consensus, said he could not have turned deaf ears to the party’s national and state leaders as well as aspirants and candidates on the party’s platform, who met and prevailed on him.
On why his name was not mentioned among those who withdrew the case on Monday, Oseni said: “For your information, I didn’t sign any document for anyone when they went to court. I think in the same way they did not envisage they will need my signature to withdraw it. Whatever you are hearing is a product of the ongoing irregularities in the nomination.”
He concluded by chiding those simply using the ADC for selfish purposes rather than for the benefit of the people they seek to serve.
He said: “My coming to ADC is divine. God will not answer the plans and prayer of ADC enemies. Those who are just using ADC as a stopover will receive open shame very soon. They will always see wisdom in my meekness.”