News

Prince Charles arrives Nigeria, cancels visit to Jos

The Prince of Wales, Charles and his wife, the Duchess of Cornwall, Camilla, have arrived in Abuja to commence the second leg of his West Africa tour. He was in Ghana on Monday.

The 70-year-old heir to the British throne has however been to cancel his plan to visit Jos, the Plateau state capital, city amid fears for his safety over recent reports of herdsmen attacks and communal violence.

He had been due to travel to Jos, which alongside Benue, Taraba and Nasarawa, have witnessed deadly herdsmen attacks.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: “Due to operational constraints beyond our control, we have decided at this time not to include Jos during their royal highnesses’ visit to Nigeria.

“We are delighted to have an exciting programme of activity in Abuja and Lagos which will showcase those issues close to the Prince’s and the Duchess’s hearts.

“The decision was taken upon advice from the Nigerian Government and others involved in security and operational aspects of the visit.”

The prince will now spend Thursday in the Abjua when he is due to hear about efforts to end the Jos crisis and the herdsmen attack.

While in Ghana, the prince gave a speech where he outlined his continued concerns about the threat of climate change, rapid urbanisation and depletion of resources.

He told his audience, which included Ghana’s president Nana Akufo-Addo and the Duchess of Cornwall, that the Commonwealth could play a vital part in safeguarding the planet.

Comments
To Top