There was a strange explosion inside a beer parlour on Sunday along L and K road in Oworonsoki area of Lagos.
The explosion occurred around 2.00 pm leaving five people injured including a five-month old baby girl.
Officials of fire service and policemen were still trying to find out the cause of the explosion as the shop was locked at the time of the incident.
As soon as the incident occurred, the area was thrown into confusion with the residents thinking the dreaded Islamic sect, Boko Haram had struck and many of them reportedly took to their heels but the development was later confirmed to be that domestic explosion possibly from a refrigerator.
Those injured were residents of a nearby building the explosion affected, and a motorcyclist who was passing at the time of the incident.
Affected was a five-month old baby girl, her mother, Mrs Joy Angolo, their relation, Mr Monsuru Angolo, a motorcyclist Kamoru Bashir and one other resident, whose name could not be ascertained.
According to an eye witness, the incident occurred due to excessive heat build-up in the refrigerator ignited by fumes from petroleum products stored in the relaxation centre.
The baby was said to be unconscious due to excessive bleeding while his mother and their relation sustained head injuries.
Vanguard however quoted the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, as saying that there was no explosion rather it was a gas cylinder that busted.
His words: “We should not create fear in the minds of people. It was a gas cylinder that busted resulting in a fire incident. The small fire did not even consume the whole house where it happened.
‘’The place is densely populated so, a huge crowd rushed out when they saw smoke from the fire. There is heavy presence of policemen there now and they are making frantic efforts to control the crowd.’’