Nigerians have been warned aganst eating moinmoin cooked in cellophane bags popularly refered to as nylon.
The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr Audu Ogbeh, issued the warning on Thursday, saying that moinmoin cooked in cellophane bags pose serious health challenge as the product is poisonous.
He said this at a One-day Public Hearing on Food security bills organised by the Senate Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development.
He advised that moinmoin is safer when prepared in leaves than in cellophanes that produce large quantities of poisonous elements.
According to the minister, Nigerians are unconsciously eating poisons in some food items on a daily basis as a result of wrong habit of processing and preserving the foods.
He also mentioned that consumption of sachet ( pure ) water exposed to sun at over 28 degree centigrade is poisonous which are resulting into many cases of kidney and liver failure among Nigerians.
He added that if not for the practice of over boiling meat among Nigerians, many people would have been infected by Tuberculosis from consumption of cow meat.
He also warned against the consumption of frozen chicken smuggled into the country. According to him, the products are usually preserved with formalin which is also used for preservation of dead bodies.