A 19-year-old recovering drug addict died after inhaling deodorant in an attempt to get high, doctors have revealed in a case report.
Medics told the story of the unnamed teenager to warn people of the dangers of sniffing solvents.
The teenager was in rehab for his cannabis and ketamine use when he relapsed and looked for a different way to intoxicate himself.
He put a towel over his head and inhaled the spray from a deodorant can, which can quickly make users feel light-head, dizzy and happy.
But he soon became hyperactive and, not long after, went into cardiac arrest, according to doctors writing in BMJ Case Reports.
The unnamed man died after his heart stopped and he could not be revived by paramedics.
When someone has a cardiac arrest their heart stops pumping blood properly and they will quickly pass out, stop breathing and will die without medical attention.