Hoodlums on Friday morning attacked Isinigbo community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, destroying properties worth millions of naira.
It was gathered that the attack was not unconnected with the communal crisis between Isinigbo and a neighbouring community, Ode, which had earlier been attacked a few days ago.
The hoodlums burnt down many houses, including the palace of the traditional ruler of the town, Oba Samuel Fadahunsi.
It was gathered that the attackers shot a brother of the monarch who later died at the hospital, while the driver of the traditional ruler was burnt inside the vehicle while trying to escape from the scene.
The 100-year-old monarch who was also said to be trapped in the inferno was rescued by the residents of the community and rushed to the hospital after chasing the gunmen away.
It was learnt that two of the hoodlums from Kogi State were arrested by men of the 32 Artillery Brigade, Owena cantonment.
A source within the community confirmed that the two suspects who were caught with live ammunition had confessed that they were hired from Kogi State.
The two suspects identified as Fatai Ali, 25, and Onu Adejo, 27, had been handed over to the Ondo State Police Command for further investigation.
Recall that the two communities, Ode and Isinigbo had been at war over a land dispute, which led to the setting the palace of the Ajagunode of Ode community, Oba Adewale Boboye, ablaze last week.
Oba Boboye fled the community with his family by scaling the fence and had since relocated to a town within the state.
Boboye traced the genesis of the crisis between the two communities to the court judgement he claimed was in his favour over the ownership of the land between the two communities.
Oba Boboye said he secured a court judgement in 2017, adding that a large portion of land sold by Isinigbo belonged to him but had to settle for a peaceful resolution by asking those who have developed their lands to pay N100,000 while those who have not to develop their lands to pay N150,000 which the parties agreed to, against the initial N600,000 he demanded.
Speaking, the Secretary of Isinigbo community development association, Mr Rotimi Adeleye, said there have been threats of attacks on the community but the people never took it serious until the gunmen invaded the community in the early hours of Friday.
Adeleye denied any agreement between the monarch of Ode and the people of Isinigbo. He expressed shock over the attack and killing of the two people.
The secretary, however, said the traditional ruler of Isinigbo, Oba Fadahunsi was responding to treatment at an undisclosed hospital.
Reacting, the State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) Mr Tee-Leo Ikoro, who confirmed the incident, said two people were killed during the attack.
He confirmed that the driver to the monarch was burnt by the gunmen while they shot one of the traditional ruler’s brother.
The PPRO, however, said some arrest had been made, adding that the command had commenced an investigation into the matter.