In a tribute to the police officers killed by soldiers in Taraba State on Tuesday, the Nigeria Police Force disclosed that the deceased officers had succeeded in high profile operations for the Force.
Recall that soldiers opened fire on the police officers who were transporting a notorious kidnap kingpin, in Taraba State.
The soldiers claimed they received a distress call and thought the police officers were the kidnappers. The police have however dismissed the explanation, accusing the Army of distorting the facts.
According to Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Frank Mba, “the gallant, outstanding IRT team attacked by soldiers in Taraba State consists of some of the most disciplined, proficient and hardworking Police investigators in the service of the nation”
He identified the slain offices as: Insp. Mark Edaile, from Edo State; Sgt. Usman Danzumi, from Taraba State and Sgt. Dahiru Musa, from Taraba State.
He stated: “Until their untimely death in the hands of soldiers of 93 Battalion Takum, Taraba State, these officers have participated in several high profile and high risk arrests, rescue missions and investigative operations. Some of these operations include:
- The arrest of Nigeria’s most notorious kidnap kingpin, Evans.
- The arrest of twenty (22) Boko Haram Terrorists responsible for the 2014 kidnapping of the Chibok School Girls in Borno State.
- The arrest of UMAR Abdulmalik, the overall Boko Haram Commander of North Central Nigeria and several of his group members.
- The arrest of the kidnappers of two American and two Canadian citizens in Kaduna State.
- And most recently, the rescue of Magajin Garin Daura in Kano State and arrest of the thirteen (13) terrorists responsible for the kidnapping of the Magajin Garin Daura in his home town Daura, Katsina State on 1st May 2019, among many other outstanding feats.
“The Inspector General of Police, IGP M.A. Adamu, NPM, mni commiserates with the families, friends and professional colleagues of the fallen heroes, reassuring them that their death will not be in vain.
“The IGP equally calls for calm among Nigerians as efforts are in top gear to unravel the mystery surrounding this bizarre crime.
“May their souls rest in peace!”