The Nigerian Army on Monday confirmed the arrest of several Boko Haram insurgents in Lagos and Ogun states.
The outgoing General Officer Commanding (GOC) 81 Division, Major General Tamunomiebi Dibi said the suspected terrorists were rounded up during several raids conducted in both states.
General Dibi disclosed this soon after he handed over the command to Major General Isidore Henry Edet as the new GOC at the Kofo Abayomi, Victoria Island, Lagos headquarters.
Earlier in his address to officers and soldiers, General Dibi who casted an iron shield security around Lagos and Ogun States, warned soldiers against avoidable deaths of their members and also ensure the stay on the alert against extremists loyal to the insurgents.
The former GOC said the war against Boko Haram was not only in the North-East but also all over the country.
He said: “You are all aware of what we are going through, the problems of Boko Haram, the fact that you are not in the North-East does not mean you are not fighting the war, you are fighting the war because wars of such nature does not have a front or a rear. Boko Haram can operate here and can operate in any part of the country.”
According to him, the division had been able to curtail the excesses of Boko Haram, especially by preventing them from striking in Lagos, urging the personnel of the division to do more in ensuring that the insurgents were kept at bay.
He said soldiers must ensure that the security measures to prevent terrorists’ incursion in Lagos were sustained, adding that personal security of the soldiers and officers must also be taken serious.
He urged the soldiers to remain vigilant and ensure that the insurgents do not infiltrate Nigeria’s economic hub and its environs.
The retired GOC noted that dozens of insurgents were arrested during his 18 months tenure.