Following criticisms by many Nigerians at home and abroad, the Federal Government has defended its decision not to allow students in the country take part in the 2020 West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).
The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, had last week said the government was concerned about the spread of COVID-19 should it allow the students congregate for the examination organised by the West African Examination Council (WAEC).
The government’s position was criticised by former vice president, Atiku Abubakar, and legal luminary, Afe Babalola. The House of Representatives also urged the Federal Government to rescind the decision.
However, the government reiterated its stance on Wednesday but said it was meeting stakeholders on the matter.
Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, told journalists after Wednesday’s Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting that the government is still meeting with parents over the decision of the ministry.
“What the minister (Mr Adamu) said reflects the true position of the ministry; we are not confident yet that everywhere is safe. The numbers from the NCDC are still alarming and we have put this before parents and all the stakeholders in the education ecosystem, we are still meeting with them. In fact, there’s a stakeholders’ meeting convened for Monday.
“WAEC on its own part is also negotiating with other West African countries to look at possible shift in date. Once they are through with that meeting and hopefully when we are through with the consultation with stakeholders, if there’s any change in the ministry’s position, we will communicate.
“But as it stands, the position of the Honourable Minister, as communicated to you last week, remains the position of the ministry until further evidence to the contrary or further agreements that may alter those arise,” Nwajiuba said.