A second terror attack has occurred in Spain’s northeastern Catalan region, hours after a van drove into a large group of pedestrians in a crowded Barcelona street, killing 13 and injuring over 100, CNN reports.
In the early hours of Friday morning, five armed attackers were shot dead while attempting to enter a tourist area in the small coastal town of Cambrils, 120 kilometers (75 miles) south of Barcelona, police said.
Officials have so far provided little information concerning the Cambrils attack, other than confirming that six bystanders were injured along with one police officer.
In a press conference Thursday, Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy labeled the Barcelona attack as “jihadi terrorism.”
The first attack began at about 5 p.m. on Thursday afternoon, in one of Barcelona’s most popular tourists districts.
A white van with blue markings drove into a packed crowd of locals and visitors enjoying an afternoon along Las Ramblas, a predominantly pedestrian area full of cafes, bars and street performers.
More than a dozen people were killed, with the death toll expected to rise, while about 100 others were injured. The driver escaped and is still on the run.
A large number of tourists were caught up in the Barcelona attack — among the dead and injured are confirmed to be citizens of Belgium, Australia and Hong Kong.
ISIS’ media wing, Amaq, has said the Barcelona attackers were “soldiers of the Islamic State,” but stopped short of explicitly claiming responsibility for the attacks or providing evidence for their claims.