The three Catholic Reverend Sisters kidnapped from a convent in Edo state have spent almost 50 days in captivity.
At a news conference on Monday, Alfred Martins, the archbishop of Lagos, warned that being women, the sisters’ continued stay with the kidnappers is dangerous.
“It has been a big source of worry and concern knowing that they are women” he said.
He appealed to the enforcement agencies to intensify efforts to rescue the reverend sisters abducted since November 14, 2017.
The sisters were kidnapped by gunmen from the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus Convent in Iguoriakhi in Edo.
Archbishop Martins said the Benin archdiocese had been making efforts in collaboration with the security agencies in the state and the country as well as the state government to secure their release.
His words: “It is really disheartening that in spite of all these efforts, the sisters are still there in bondage.
“It is disheartening that the security agencies have not been able to get the sisters out and one wonders why this is the case.
“We still do hope that the security agencies would do much more than is being done now to ensure that the sisters are released.”